6:00 – 8:30 pm
Speaking program at 7:00 pm
Home of Deborah Moore & Adam Dawson, Berkeley, California*
- When you think of rivers, do you picture yourself paddling your kayak downstream through white waters?
- Can you hear the rush of the current as you make your way down nature’s freeway towards your camping destination?
- Are you a water adventure seeker?
If you answered yes to any of those questions, this discussion is for you! Join us as we welcome white water and adventure travel leaders who will share stories of paddling rivers around the world and spark a conversation about engaging river sports enthusiasts like you in growing the global movement for wild rivers and healthy communities.
Joining us will be:
- Middy Tilghman, who fell in love with rivers at eight years old when he began kayaking. Since then, he’s raced internationally as a member of the US National Wildwater Team, explored remote rivers from the Canadian Arctic to Tajikistan, and published photos in Paddler and National Geographic magazines. While living and paddling in Tajikistan, Middy created educational summer camps for rural boys and girls ages 8-14 that continue to thrive. He’s currently the editor of SiteZed, a website that shares stories about paddle sports.
- Tom Huntington, a seasoned river guide who has run rivers in the US, Costa Rica, Ethiopia, Chile and China. A lifelong paddler, Tom has hosted more than 60 trips over 40 years as a Grand Canyon and Colorado River Guide. Tom has worked on Wild & Scenic River protection campaigns, river restoration and water quality legislation, and fisheries protection for several organizations. He also spent 20 years at Environmental Defense Fund as the Western Development Director.
- John Yost, who is one of the principals of Wantok Adventures, an organization dedicated to guiding river trips and treks around the world. He co-founded Sobek Expeditions in 1973 and spearheaded the exploration by raft of most of the world’s major rivers. In 2013, he led the “Rafting the World” whitewater trip, visiting rivers on six continents in one month. John co-authored the book First Descents: In Search of Wild Rivers – with TV personality Richard Bangs and Yvon Chouinard of Patagonia, Inc. – which is a collection of enthralling tales from four decades of river exploration. John serves on the Board of Directors for Friends of the River.
RSVP to email@example.com or 510-848-1155 ext. 329. Please share the names of each person in your party.
*The address for the event will be provided upon your reservation.
This event is part of our Keep International Rivers Flowing campaign. Our team will be sharing our campaign goals and how you can invest in the future of International Rivers. For more information or to make a tax deductible gift, go to http://tinyurl.com/KeepIRFlowing.