2012 Edition of the NGO Guide on Chinese Dams Around the World
Chinese dam builders have come to dominate the world market. Civil society groups have expressed concerns about the social and environmental impacts of numerous Chinese dams in Africa, Asia and Latin America. This NGO guide published by International Rivers presents the lessons of past experience and informs interested NGOs how they can best influence the projects and policies of Chinese dam builders and advocate for social and environmental interests.
Download the guide (English, 4.8 MB)
This guide provides useful information for groups concerned about dam projects in which Chinese companies and financiers are involved, including:
- A “who’s who” among Chinese companies and financiers;
- Laws and standards in the Chinese dam building sector;
- A map of China’s major overseas dam projects;
- The new environmental policy of Sinohydro, the world’s largest dam-builder;
- An action guide for how to address problematic dams built by Chinese companies and financiers, and who to reach out to for help;
- Case studies of how NGOs have influenced Chinese overseas projects; and
- A sample letter to a Chinese dam building company.
Links to Chinese and Spanish report translations are below. Please contact us if you would like to organize a civil society training with the new guide, or suggest translations into other languages.
- Download China’s Overseas Dams List
- View China’s Overseas Dams Infographic
- View the Who’s Who in Chinese Government Infographic
- 2012 Edition of the NGO Guide in English | Chinese | Spanish
- 2008 Edition of the NGO Guide in: English | Chinese | Burmese